Quick HTML Terminology Reference

It always helps to know what to call things. Someone asked a question about html terminology recently and I thought this might be useful to keep around…

consider the following markup:

<div class="my-class" id="my-id"></div>
div is an element with two attributes (class and id) which you can use as selectors, in addition to the element tag (div), to target the element.

Targeting elements

class id tag
jQuery $(“.my-class”) $(“#my-id”) $(“div”)
Vanilla js document
CSS .my-class{…} #my-id{…} div{…}